The Covenant Church of Easton was formally organized on October 6, 1896, as The Swedish Evangelical Congregational Mission Church of Bridgeport. This followed by only a few years the national organization of the Swedish Evangelical Mission Covenant Church of America - now the Evangelical Covenant Church - in February, 1885.
The roots of both go back to the Lutheran Reformation of Sweden, out of which came the Swedish Mission Covenant Church in 1878. "It was people from this movement who emigrated to America and became the founding fathers and mothers of the Evangelical Covenant Church. They were Swedish, Lutheran, pietistically and revivalistically oriented, and committed to an evangelical heritage that highlighted these important facets of faith: the authority of the word of God, the necessity of new life in Christ, the ideal of the believers' church, and the importance of spiritual and theological freedom." (Covenant Roots - Sources and Affirmations, edited by Glenn P. Anderson)
Services in the new Bridgeport church were held in a rented store front on State Street, and the first church building, located on Lee Avenue, was dedicated in 1897.
Steady growth led to expansion; in 1905 the congregation purchased land at the corner of Grove Street and Laurel Avenue in the West End of Bridgeport, and built a church there in 1914. Sixty-four years went by in this location. The language was Swedish, up until 1935. In fact, the minutes of the Trustees in July, 1935, are written in Swedish; and then from August 1935 on, they are written in English!
The denomination also during this time changed from Swedish to English language, and became the Evangelical Covenant Church, as it is today, with its offices in Chicago, Illinois. On April 11, 1949, the Swedish Evangelical Congregational Mission Church in Bridgeport became The Covenant Congregational Church of Bridgeport, Connecticut, still located at the corner of Laurel and Grove.
1977-1978 was a very significant time in the church's history. A failed boiler system in a neighboring church, Westminster Presbyterian, led to the Covenant sharing its facilities with the Westminster congregation for some months. A real bond between the two congregations developed, and in February 1978 the Covenant congregation invited Westminster Presbyterian to join them en masse in a shared future. The Covenant was seeking a new location, and in April 1978 the church purchased four acres in Easton, at its present site. The following month, the merging of the two congregations was formalized, bringing the Covenant's membership to 286.
The church building at Laurel and Grove was sold to the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, a congregation founded in 1806, which had been without a facility for seven years. Occupancy went quickly to the new owners, and the Covenant Church of Bridgeport met at Jennings School in Fairfield for the next few years while the present sanctuary was built.
There are many stories of the hard work, sacrifice and joyful miracles of the building of the church at One Sport Hill Road, Easton. Ask anyone who was part of it! The opening of the new sanctuary was a great celebration in August, 1982. In 1987, the name changed to the Covenant Church of Easton. Growth and a commitment to kids spurred the hiring of a part-time youth pastor and finally a full-time youth pastor.
Today the Covenant Church of Easton continues to draw members and friends from a wide circle - Fairfield, Easton, Bridgeport, Stratford, Monroe, Trumbull, Newtown, Wilton, Milford, Shelton and more. It is known for its youth and children's programs, and the quality of its worship and music. And it is ready to grow again.